- Promotion of citizen sports
- Whether you run, cheer, or support - you play a leading role!
- Presenting the wonders of Kyoto to Japan and to the world
- Revitalization of Kyoto/Japan
- Marathon (42.195 km)
- Pair-Ekiden (1st Stage: approx. 27.6 km, 2nd Stage: approx. 14.6 km)
- Wheelchair race (6.1 km)
Sunday, February 16, 2020
08:55: Wheelchair race start09:00: Marathon and pair-Ekiden start15:00: Marathon and pair-Ekiden finish
- Marathon: 16,000 runners
- Pair-Ekiden: 200 pairs (400 runners)
- Wheelchair race: 20 athletes
* The above numbers include participants recommended by organizers.
Marathon & pair-Ekiden: 6 hours (based on gun time)
Marathon and pair-Ekiden
Start at TAKEBISHI Stadium Kyoto（Nishikyogoku Athletic Park）and finish in front of Heian-jingu Shrine (course certified by the Japan Association of Athletics Federations [JAAF], International Association of Athletics Federations [IAAF], and Association of International Marathons and Distance Races [AIMS])
* Relay point for pair-Ekiden: Kyoto Botanical Gardens
TAKEBISHI Stadium Kyoto（Nishikyogoku Athletic Park）to Arashiyama
Regardless of the time limit at checkpoints, during the race, if a contestant's progress is extremely delayed, race officials may disqualify him/her from the race.
- ①Men and women: First 20 runners for each
- ②Men and women by age groups (every 5 years): First 3 runners for each
- ③Men and woman who are residents of Kyoto City : First 8 runners for each
* At the awards ceremony, the awards will be presented to the top 8 runners in category 1 described above. Certificates will be sent to other award-winning runners at a later date.
* No awards for pair-Ekiden
First 3 runners
Marathon and pair-Ekiden
- ①Participants must have been born before April 1, 2001.
- ②Participants must be able to complete the race within 6 hours. (Participation by wheelchair is not permitted.)
Participants must be wheelchair users as of February 16, 2020, with a physical disability certificate issued pursuant to the provisions in Article 15 of the Act on Welfare of Physically Disabled Persons (1949 Act No. 283). Participants must also have received a recommendation from the Kyoto Sports Association for the Disabled and have been accepted by the organizer.
- Marathon: Domestic participants: JPY15,000**; Overseas participants: JPY17,000
- Pair-Ekiden: JPY25,000 (for a pair)
- Wheelchair race: JPY2,000
* Overseas participants who apply for the event on the English, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese website are not eligible to participate in the pair-Ekiden and wheelchair race.
* Voluntary donations to relief funds for survivors of the Great East Japan Earthquake be collected (in the units of JPY 500).
** Domestic participants at the age of 23 and under (on the day of the race):JPY 12,000.
Applications must be made online.
* In the case of excess applications, participants will be chosen by lottery.
Friday, February14, 2020: 11:30-20:00 (last entry)Saturday, February 15, 2020: 10:30-19:00 (last entry)
* Check-in times are subject to change.
* No check-in will be accepted on the day of the race (February 16).
* ID must be presented at check-in (no substitutions permitted).
Place: Miyako-Messe (Kyoto International Exhibition Hall)
- Programs for the main concepts ("DO YOU KYOTO? Marathon" and "Assistance for Reconstruction from the Great East Japan Earthquake") will be organized.
- In the case of event cancellation due to reason(s) beyond the organizer's control, entry fees will not be refunded.
- Only registered applicants are eligible to compete in the race. (Substitutions are not permitted.)
- Participants may not wear costumes or exhibit any advertising materials, such as designs and trademarks that signify company/product names, at the event venue or on the courses.